Department Head Biophysics and Director of the Donders Centre for Neuroscience at the Science Faculty of Radboud University
Role in MOSAICS
Leading professional of MOSAICS beneficiary, supervisor of ESRs 1, 2 and 3
- Auditory systems
- Plasticity in human sound localisation
The main research topics in the Biophysics lab are Human sound-localization and plasticity; Sound processing in the behaving monkey, Multisensory integration, and the Role of monkey Superior Colliculus in saccadic eye-head gaze shifts. This research has been published in high-rated journals like Science, Nature Neuroscience, J. Neurophysiology, and J. Neuroscience. From 2014-2018 I coordinated a large FP7 IDP Marie-Curie project, HealthPAC, with 14 ESRs working on sensorimotor integration in health and disease at our Institute. Four of these PhD candidates worked on the auditory system. In 2016 I obtained a personal ERC advanced grant (ORIENT), revolving around eye-head coordination in complex audio-visual environments, and within which I have set up an active collaboration with the visual robotics lab of prof Alex Bernardino in Lisbon.
- L.C.E. Veugen, J. Chalupper, A.F.M. Snik, A.J. Van Opstal, and L.H.M. Mens. Frequency-Dependent Loudness Balancing in Bimodal Cochlear Implant Users. Acta Otolaryngology 2016, 136: 775-781.
- A.J. van Opstal. The Auditory System and Human Sound Localization Behavior. Elsevier Publishers, Academic Press, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 431 pages, ISBN 978-0-12-801529-2 (2016)
- G.C. Van Bentum, A.J. Van Opstal, C. C.M.van Aartrijk and M.M Van Wanrooij. Level-weighted response averaging in elevation to synchronous amplitude-modulated sounds. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 2017, 142: 3094-3103.
- B. Zonooz, E. Arani, and A.J. Van Opstal. Learning to localise weakly-informative sound spectra with and without feedback. Scientific Reports (Nature), 2018, 8: 17933.
- R. Ege, A.J. van Opstal, and M.M. Van Wanrooij. Accuracy-precision trade-off in human sound localisation. Scientific Reports (Nature), 8: 16399, 2018.